My Blog List

Monday, November 18, 2013

How should we assess?

            Reading Assessments

            Through my education process, I have found stigma and negativity to surround assessments and Common Core in the field of teaching. This seems to be because while we need to assess students, there is not one best way to do so.
            The article I read by Jim Rubin states, “mandated tests tend to give a snapshot of a child’s ability, whereas use of a variety of assessments gives teachers a more comprehensive portrait” (606). To understand assessment, I believe that it is important to remember that while assessments are necessary, they cannot consume all of our time.
            When using multiple assessments, I especially like running records. I found a great form on Pinterest from a third grade teacher. She also mentioned that she conducts reading conferences with her class, which seemed to be a great tool! Link to blog
             This is an example of a running record form. This can formatted differently depending on classroom grade level and individual student needs.
                                                 Friday Freebie – Running Record Form as seen on Third Grade Troop  www.thirdgradetroop.com
            Running records are more individualized, and seem to give a more comprehensive view, rather than an analytical viewpoint. They can be combined with standardized tests to give teachers a full picture of their students’ reading level. I feel that it is especially important to compare assessments for discrepancies; students may have a bad test day or not have background knowledge needed for the test.

            I hope that when I step into the field of teaching, I can focus on helping students learn instead of becoming caught up in assessments.
            Which assessment methods do you plan to use in your future classrooms?


Rubin, Jim. Organizing and Evaluating Results From Multiple Reading Assessments. The Reading Teacher, 64(8) pp. 606-611. Web. November, 18, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment